One foot, two foot, red foot.... swollen foot?

I'm having to remind myself about every 5 minutes that I am indeed grateful to have feet. I spend the long minutes in between those reminders cursing my right foot.

Whoops, the five minute mark has rolled around again, hang on...

I AM GRATEFUL TO HAVE FEET!!!

I'm not quite sure what is wrong with my foot. Stress fracture, maybe? I only know that it has been hurting since last Tuesday/Wednesday, and I, being stubborn and slightly stupid, have not had it seen about.

Well, I do have kind of an excuse: I was in San Antonio from last Wednesday to late Sunday night to see Kate graduate from AF basic training, so I "couldn't" see a doctor. During my visit to SA, my mother (bless her) tried to convince me to use a wheelchair on more than one occasion. I started pretending that I couldn't hear her. :)

I thought it would just get better on its own; I thought that maybe I had just strained it. It got worse yesterday- WAY worse. I can now hardly flex or point my foot, I had to practically crawl on my hands and knees back and forth across my apartment, it has turned an unattractive shade of reddish pink (which. as I told my mother this morning, does NOT go with my outfit in the slightest!), and it is swelling to roughly the shape and squishiness of those water slugs that I used to play with as a kid:

http://www.yourpartybypost.co.uk/acatalog/bub22.jpg

... only with toes.

I was supposed to have an appointment with the Georgia State University clinic this morning at 9:30, but my astronomy lab, which is usually out by 9:00, got out late. Actually, I got out late because my partner for the day was, shall we say, less adept than most at the astronomical processes taught in the lab. Which made me miss the bus. Oh well.

Anyway, I called the clinic and told them I would be about 10 minutes late, and could I still come in to see the doctor. No such luck with these people. I settled for an appointment for 5:15 this afternoon, and begged for a pair of crutches so I could make it through the rest of my classes. Again, a no go. These people don't budge an inch. I doubt even the offer of kissing their feet, promising them my first born, and cleaning the clinic for a month would have softened them into giving me a single, blasted pair of crutches.

So my wonderful, gracious, loving husband responded to my tearful and frustrated phone call by hunting down a pair of crutches and bringing them all the way to school for me.

Which leaves me cursing the crutches even more than my foot.

I've had to use crutches once, almost exactly a year ago, because I strained my foot during a 3 day backpacking trip. I wish I had remembered exactly how much I hated them.

After using the crutches for only 2 and a half hours, my arms feel like jelly, but somehow still hurt like I have done one hundred pushups, and my one good leg is starting to ache from bearing my own weight as well as the weight of my 25 pound backpack! The stupid things are starting to make me wish I was once again hobbling across campus at the approximate speed of 0.000002 miles an hour at which I was traveling before instead of relying on crutches. Another problem I have with crutches is that they make me even more unbalanced and wobbly than I am normally, which could potentially cause another injury similar to the one I already have. I ask you, does this make ANY sense???

I'm thinking of pulling a House MD, and getting a really snazzy cane and being grumpy to everyone just for the heck of it.

I will say it again, I am grateful to have both of my feet. I am very blessed in that sense, especially since there are so many people in the world who are in far worse pain than my own. I just ask that you pray for the doctors to figure out what's wrong with it, and/or that I get used to these daggum crutches!

Comments

Mrs. Fox said…
I'm curious! What happened at the doctor? I hope they figured it out and that your foot feels better soon! Have a great weekend! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Twice a Mother

Mother's Day

Six months