Appearances can be deceiving

It has been over a year since I last updated this blog. I will now take a second to hang my head in shame...

I am not even going to consider promising that I will be more faithful in posting, but I will update when I can (or when I feel like it, or when I'm procrastinating on a project and am just doing other meaningless tasks to keep from doing what I really need to do). Obviously, the name of this blog is Mishaps of a housewife, and as this housewife is currently located in Atlanta, my mishaps (perhaps better described as "adventures") often include things that occur around the city... particularly on MARTA.

This particular occurrence on MARTA happened a long time ago, probably even before the last time I updated this blog (again, hanging my head in shame). I was on the bus, nearly home, probably concentrating on anything other than tossing my cookies as the bus driver lurched through traffic, slammed on brakes mere inches behind cars, and seemed to purposely hit every pothole and dip in the road. Through my usual MARTA nausea, I heard a faint "click-click-click-clack... click-click-click-click."

I'm more than accustomed to hearing strange, often disconcerting noises on the marvel that is the Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, but this one was very near me. I spared a glance across the aisle, and saw a man in running shorts and tennis shoes, who looked like a Ranger in the Army, with a backpack at his feet.

From the backpack ran a piece of string. Yarn, to be exact. My eyes traveled up the piece of yarn to what was in Mr. Ranger's hands. It appeared to be a scarf. A scarf that a very manly man was knitting. On MARTA. With real knitting needles.

What was so odd, besides the blindingly obvious fact that Tough Guy was openly knitting on the bus, was that no one even looked twice at him. I guess things like that happen everyday in Atlanta, but I had a hard time not laughing, and had to keep myself from staring for the rest of the ride.

It just goes to show that there's always something to laugh at, gawk at, or be amazed by in metro Atlanta, and, as the title of this post states, appearances can be very, very deceiving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twice a Mother

Mother's Day

Six months