Winter Vegetable Hot Pot

Randy and I have joined a CSA (community supported agriculture). We've loved it! You first sign up for a year long membership, but you are not committed to deliveries every week. You pay per week, for either an order that will be enough for 2-3 people, or a larger one that would probably feed a family of 4-6. The website is https://www.moorefarmsandfriends.com/.
That being said, most of my dinners lately have included lots of veggies, in ways that I never thought I would like them. The following is one such recipe.

Props to my sister, April, for this recipe. It was delicious!

Winter Vegetable Hot Pot

Use whatever vegetables you have on hand in this richly flavoured and substantial one-pot meal.

Serves 4
2 onions, sliced
4 carrots, sliced
1 small swede (rutabega), sliced
2 parsnips, sliced
3 small turnips, sliced
1/2 celeriac, cut into matchsticks
2 leeks, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 bay leaf, crumbled
2 Tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs, such as parsley and thyme
1 1/4 cups vegetable stock (I use chicken stock)
1 Tbsp plain flour
1 1/2 lbs red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
salt and black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Arrange all the vegetables, except the potatoes, in layers in a large casserole with a tight-fitting lid.
2. Season the vegetable layers lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle them with garlic, crumbled bay leaf, and chopped herbs as you go.
3. Blend the stock into the flour and pour over the vegetables. Arrange the potatoes in overlapping layers on top. Dot with butter and cover tightly.
4. Cook in the oven for 1 1/4 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the lid from the casserole and cook for a further 15-20 minutes until the top layer of potatoes is golden and crisp at the edges. Serve hot.

Now for the changes I made... I simply used whatever vegetables we had gotten in our order for the week. Frankly, I wasn't sure what some of the things in our "assorted roots" were, so I just chopped 'em up and tossed 'em it. I think it probably took place of the rutabaga, parsnip, and turnip. I also substituted a gigantic sweet potato, and used russet potatoes on top.

Additionally, I assembled the entire recipe in a crock pot and cooked it on low for about 8-10 hours, or until the veggies were tender.

Needless to say, this is a very forgiving, hearty recipe that you can use to get rid of veggies you have on hand. I served with homemade buttermilk biscuits, along with jam.

Comments

BFox said…
sounds yummy, will have to try this sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

Twice a Mother

Mother's Day

Six months