Banana bread conversion

For years (literally- I've been making banana bread or at least helping my mom with it for as long as I can remember), I've been faithful to a banana bread recipe in the old red and white checked Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.
I'm now a convert. I recently made a new banana bread recipe from the same cookbook I described in the last post. It's from another character in the Mitford series, Puny Bradshaw. It's the best banana bread I've ever had. It's dense and cake-y, not overpoweringly banana-y, is moist on the inside and has the most delectable outside. It's good hot, room temperature, or cold. I also did the entire recipe in the food processor, so I didn't have to mash the bananas beforehand. I'm all about shortcuts!

Puny's Banana Bread
1 1/4 cup sugar (or honey crystals, if you have them- they're fantastic!)
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs, beaten
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups all purpose (White Lily, if you have it) flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x5 inch loaf pan by spraying it with cooking spray. Beat sugar and oil together until fluffy. Add eggs and mix. Mix in mashed bananas. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, soda, and salt. Add 1 cup of the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Stir until just combined. Mix in HALF of the buttermilk. Add the remaining flour and buttermilk and stir until just combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake about one hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean (I let mine stay just slightly gooey in the very middle/top, since the rest was getting a tad dark). Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a cooling rack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twice a Mother

Mother's Day

Six months