The way the cookie crumbled...

The other night, I made the "healthy" cookies from an earlier post.
My advice: TRY THEM!!!
They were delicious. I particularly liked them straight out of the oven, as they were still a little crunchy on the bottom and the dark chocolate was oh so melty!
Here are the alterations I made (those of you who know me best can attest to the fact that I always change something in a recipe... I'm a rebel).

3 large, ripe bananas, well mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, barely warm - so it isn't solid (or olive oil) *I used regular olive oil and couldn't taste any difference
2 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup almond meal (this can be done in a food processor, just don't go so long that you get almond butter!) *I found pecan meal at the grocery store, and it was great!
1/3 cup coconut, finely shredded & unsweetened
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt *regular salt is fine, but, like I do with most baking, add another little pinch of salt for good measure
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 - 7 ounces chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar chopped *I used Ghiradelli's 60% cacao chips- SO good!



Preheat oven to 350 degrees; place racks in the top third of the oven.

In a large bowl combine the bananas, vanilla extract, and coconut oil. *I threw everything into my food processor to get the bananas nice and smooth. Set aside. In another bowl whisk together the oats, almond meal, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks/chips. *Again, I tossed all the dry ingredients, including chocolate chips, into the food processor. It made the oats a little finer and everything was a little more homogeneous. The dough is a bit looser than a standard cookie dough; don't worry about it. Drop dollops of the dough, each about 2 teaspoons in size, an inch apart, onto a parchment (or Silpat) lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes. *I baked for 17-18 minutes, so the bottoms got a bit crunchy.
Makes about 3 dozen bite-sized cookies.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twice a Mother

Mother's Day

Six months